Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Best Scrambled Eggs in Shamokin

Well, maybe Coal Township and Brady, too. I dare enough to share my first recipe on H&H. And check out the calorie count ... Apologies in advance for TMI.

INGREDIENTS
2 chicken eggs
1 Tbsp. 2% milk
Semi-oily pan spray
1 Tsp. light margarine (I use Oliva)
1 slice Velveeta cheese (yes, you heard me) or scant ounce, shredded
Seasoning of yer cherce

1. I wholly recommend a non-stick pan. Spray that stuff on it. Place over medium heat while you proceed.

2. Whisk the eggs and milk in the proper vessel. Boldly. Jacques Pepin is right--this does not toughen the eggs. When you pick whisk up, the product should fall in a steady, unclotted stream. DO NOT SEASON YET!

3. Pour your perfectly whisked eggs into pan. Swirl to distribute. DON'T GO ANYWHERE. Have at the ready a proper whisk for pan.

4. As soon as some curds begin to form, pull pan from heat and whisk madly. In the next couple of minutes, move pan off and on the heat. You do not want the eggs to scramble too quickly. Keep whisking as necessary to produce the smallest possible curds.

5. While the eggs are still somewhat liquidy, toss in the cheese, which you have previously ripped into dainty shreds. Do not wait too long to do this; the eggs will be cooked and the cheese might not have melted. Whisk again, with vigor, to mix cheese in.

6. Right before you think they're done, add the margarine. Yes, whisk.

7. If you're a hard-core, hard-curd scrambler, please try it my way. I take eggs off the heat when they are very soft, but not runny. Now season; whisk one last time. Place onto a warm plate (I use a silicone spatula to get all the goodness out). Use fork. Ingest. Go nuts. Get back to me with the tons of praise I am expecting.

NOTES: You may laugh at the Velveeta, but it melts divinely. If you don't mess up, you will see no cheese in the final product; everything will be incorporated. I use Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning blend.

THE GOOD NEWS: 
Eggs: 140 calories
Milk: 9
Cheese: 60
Margarine: 15

= 224 CALORIES!

Q. E. D.

Next: Baba and Maga's mac salad to kvell over

No comments:

Post a Comment