Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel

Sometimes I don't know what to feel.
Last night I saw a car crush a little dog under its wheel.
It did not even stop;
It just sped off and out of sight.

-Todd Rundgren

<><><>

Yes, I copped some Todd lyrics for today's rant. They are from his remarkable album, A Wizard, A True Star. To which I still listen. Which record (did I say that?) is 42 years old. And why Mr. Rundgren isn't in the Rock Hall is beyond me ... never mind; I digress.

But sometimes I don't know what to feel.

I know I'm lousy at shared grief. Especially when a celebrity dies. My sole exception is the late Phil Hartman. But he was my friend.

A race-car driver in a fiery demise. A guy on a snowmobile, doing something snowmobiles weren't meant to do. A rock star OD's. Yes, I feel a little down if I liked the music. But, in general, I can't get worked up.

Pets die. Pet owners are devastated. Especially women who own cats. I once had cats. I am not averse to any pet ownership. But when one dies, what? I can express my condolences but little else. Once, I made the mistake of saying to a quasi-girlfriend, "If you were half as nice to me as you are to your dog, I'd be happy." That got me excommunicated.

I don't want or need to own a gun. Most of my friends here in Pennsy have firearms. I don't think they should have to give up their weapons. But when some get offended about any talk of gun control, I stop listening. This doesn't make me dislike them. Now, I once a heard a guy (a non-friend) remark, "President Osama [that's what he said] is coming to take away my guns." I wasn't offended. It just convinced me that the speaker was a mouth-breathing douchebag,

Sometimes I don't know what to feel.

I feel for people who think the singers on American Got Idol Talent are tremendous. I feel for contestants on cooking contests who have to make a meal out of pomegranates, lovage, suet and Reese's Pieces. And I feel nothing but odium for the smug celebrity judges who make said cooks feel like dog-do.

When Ted Cruz, a candidate to run this country, said, "The problem with climate change is there's never been a day in the history of the world in which the climate is not changing," I didn't know what to feel.

When people nowadays say, "I love you," it carries tissue-thin meaning. The phrase is bandied about so much, it has lost its depth.

I know how I feel when I'm drumming. I feel marvelous. There's that.

I don't know I feel about America. I don't think we are necessarily the best country in the world. I realize this is an unpopular statement. But when people say, "You don't like it here? Move somewhere else," that is just moronic.

Then again, if Ted Cruz gets elected ...

No comments:

Post a Comment